CALL FOR APPLICANTS
Ph.D. IN INTER-RELIGIOUS STUDIES (S3 IRS)
Graduate School Universitas Gadjah Mada
INDONESIAN CONSORTIUM FOR RELIGIOUS STUDIES (ICRS)
2015-2016 ACADEMIC YEAR (SECOND SEMESTER)
(For more information please visit: um.ugm.ac.id)
November 12, 2015 – January 5, 2016
Deadline of document submission
November 13, 2015 – January 6, 2016
Deadline for registration payment
January 19, 2016
Result announcement at um.ugm.ac.id
January 20-25, 2016
February 9, 2016
Beginning 2nd semester
1. Deadlines may change, contingent on UGM Academic Directorate’s admission calendar;
2. All incoming applicants, if qualified, are entitled to apply available scholarships, which may require additional documents.
3. Pre-Ph.D. Program applies only to those applicants whose acceptances are contingent on their successful in the Pre-Ph.D. Program and there should be a minimum four applicants.
The Indonesian Consortium for Religious Studies (ICRS) is a consortium of three universities: Universitas Gadjah Mada (UGM), State Islamic University (UIN) Sunan Kalijaga (UIN), and Duta Wacana Christian University (UKDW). The Consortium offers the only doctoral program in inter-religious studies based in a major, multi-religious national university. The primary strength of ICRS is the study of Indonesian religions, which includes the largest and most dynamic Muslim population in the world. ICRS also has strong resources for the study of Indonesian Christianity and can facilitate research on Balinese Hinduism, Indonesian Buddhism, Indonesian Chinese religions and indigenous local religions. ICRS encourages comparative study with religious movements in other parts of the world.
The Ph.D. Program is in English and takes four years. Students may specialize in any academic field with a primary focus of study on Cultural and Historical Studies of Religions (anthropology, history, and literary studies); Religion and Contemporary Issues, combining social sciences and ethics to study issues such as post-colonialism, globalization, justice, inter-religious dialogue, human rights, environment/ecology, religion and science, gender, democracy, civil society, community development, conflict, violence, and disaster recovery; and Comparative Interpretation of Sacred Texts, including different hermeneutical and exegetical (tafsir) methods for relating texts to public life. For more information, please go to our website at www.icrs.ugm.ac.id.
ICRS now opens for applications for the 2015-2016 Academic Year Second Semester. Around 4 to 8 applicants will be selected to pursue their doctoral program starting from February 2016. A number of full and partial scholarships are available for qualified students. Candidates may also access and apply Doctoral scholarships to LPDP, DIKTIS Kemenag, UB (United Board for Christian Higher Education), BPP DN, Sasakawa Foundation, Sumitomo Foundation and others (please check your eligibility). Contingent on funding availability, the Ph.D. program includes scholarship for one-semester sandwich program at universities abroad. Those who receive partial scholarships may also qualify our work-study program to gain experience and earn extra living allowance.
C. ADMISSION PROCEDURE:
1. Pay a non-refundable application fee of IDR 750,000,00 for Indonesian Applicants or USD 100 for Foreign. For the detail payment process please visit: http://um.ugm.ac.id/v.2015/id_home.php?l=aWRfcGFnZSMxNTQyMDYjUGV0dW5qdWsgUGVtYmF5YXJhbiM0I1Byb2dyYW0gUGFzY2FzYXJqYW5h
2. Fill out UGM online application at http://um.ugm.ac.id. Foreign applicants should apply online through the section “Admission for Foreign Students”. All applicants should then print out the online application. Please note that ICRS is listed as “S3 Inter-Religious Studies (IRS)”. If the online application is not open yet, please go directly to the item (3);
Complete the following documents:
1. Validated copies of official diplomas and academic transcripts from all institutions of higher education. For their second degree (S2), applicants should have a grade point average (GPA or IPK) of at least 3.25. In light of different grading standards of different institutions, we will consider applicants whose S2 GPA is 3.25 or above on a 4.0 scale, however our target is to receive applicants with a GPA above 3.4;
2. 1-2 pages personal statement;
3. A no more than 4,000 word preliminary research proposal, including a clear rationale of your research project, methodology and objectives;
4. Three letters of recommendation, including at least two from professors (dosen) who are qualified to evaluate your academic achievements and potential. The letters must be on recommendation forms provided by ICRS and sent directly by the recommenders to ICRS office or through email: email@example.com;
5. ICRS Financial Aid Form;
6. [Indonesian applicants only] A copy of accreditation certificate (Akreditasi) obtained by the former institution of higher education when the applicants received their Master diploma;
7. [Indonesian applicants only] A copy of TPA certificate (Tes Potensi Akademik) from a certified center (Bappenas, Puspendik Litbang Diknas and UGM). The score should be at least 450, legalized by the issuing institution, and less than two years old. If the certificates are not available yet during the application period, applicants have test conducting by the UGM Academic Directorate. Information on this TPA certificate can be found in http://psikologi.ugm.ac.id/;
8. An Institutional (ITP) or International TOEFL score of at least 525 from university-based official language centers. The TOEFL score must be less than two years old. TOEFL requirements may be substituted with equivalent scores from IELTS, TOEFL Internet-Based (IBT); TOEFL Computer Based Test (CBT) issued by language centers that are certified by the IIEF. Native English speakers and those who are considered “Native English Speakers” are not required to submit TOEFL scores. However, they are encouraged (not required) to submit recent scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or a similar standardized test from their native country;
9. Evidence of competence in at least one of the relevant language(s) of their chosen research (eg. Arabic, Greek, Hebrew, Sanskrit, Pali, old Javanese, etc.) for applicants who intend to focus on textual research. Applicants may petition to have another scriptural language included to fulfill this requirement;
10. A copy of health certificate issued by a doctor or hospital.
11. Send two copies of the application forms along with all the supporting documents to the ICRS office Jln. Teknika Utara Pogung Yogyakarta 55281. Applicants should email also all the documents in a pdf. format to firstname.lastname@example.org Late applications will not be considered.
D. Further Information
For further information, please contact:
Hendrikus Paulus Kaunang, M.A.
Ph.D. Program in Inter-Religious Studies
Indonesian Consortium for Religious Studies (ICRS)
Lt. 3, Gedung Sekolah Pascasarjana UGM
Jln. Teknika Utara Pogung Yogyakarta
Telp/fax: +62 274 562 570