- 2008 Ph.D., Philosophie Fakultät, Seminar für Sprachen und Kulturen des Vorderen Orients, Ruprecht-Karls- Universität, Heidelberg, Germany. Ph.D, with Magna Cum Laude dissertation, With Summa Cum Laude in the oral defense. Dissertation entitled: “Representing the Enemy: The Legacy of Musaylimah in Muslim Literature.” Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Susanne Enderwitz.
- 1999 MA., the Institute of Islamic Studies, McGill University, Montreal, Canada with a thesis nominated for Dean List Honor. MA thesis entitled: “Modern Qur’anic Exegesis on the Historical Narrative of the Qur’an: the Case of ‘Ad and Thamud according to SayyidQutb in his Fi Zilal al-Qur’an.” Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Issa J. Boullata.
- 1996 BA., the Faculty of Theology and Philosophy (Ushuluddin), the Department of Qur’an and Prophetic Tradition, State Institute of Islamic Studies (IAIN), Yogyakarta, Indonesia. Final paper: “The influence of Christianity on Islam, Reading Richard Bell’s The Origin of Islam in its Christian Environment (1926).”Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Amin Abdullah, the former rector of UIN (State Islamic University) SunanKalijaga Yogyakarta.
- 2000-present Lecturer at the State Islamic University (UIN), SunanKalijaga Yogyakarta, Indonesia. Teaching undergraduate courses on “Orientalism/Occidentalism,” “Early Islamic Literature,” at the faculty of Ushuluddin (Theology and Philosophy).Teaching graduate courses on “Islamic philosophy” and “methodology and approaches to the studies of Islam.”
- 2014 Research Fellow at the University of Western Sydney, Australia
- 2014 Guest Researcher, Seminar für Sprachen und Kulturen des Vorderen Orients, Ruprecht-Karls- Universität, Heidelberg, Germany
- 2013 Reviewer of proposals on Innovative and Progressive researches, are search program under the Ministry of Finance of Indonesia.
- 2012 Lecturer at theESSEC, Asia Pacific, French Business School in Singapore, on the theme “Asian Culture and Society, the Case of Indonesian Islam.”
- 2011-2012 Research fellow at the ARI (Asia Research Institute) National University of Singapore (NUS), Singapore (starting from October 2011)
- 2011-present Editor in chief, Al Jam’iah, international journal of Islamic studies, State Islamic UniversitySunanKalijaga, Yogyakarta
- 2011-present Lecturer at the ICRS (International Consortium for Religious Studies), GadjahMada State University, UIN SunanKalijaga, and Duta WacanaUniversity, for Ph.D program, teaching a seminar class entitled “Sacred texts and their interpretation” (2011), “History of Indonesia: Islam and Politics in 2oth century Java” (2013).
- 2009-2010 International research fellowatThe International Consortium for Research inThe Humanities “the Dynamics in the History of Religions between Asia and Europe” (IKGF), Ruhr University, Bochum, Germany.
- 2008-2009 Visiting scholar, Philosophy Department, McGill University, Montreal, Canada(2008-2009).
- 2005-2008 DAAD (Deutsche AkademischeAustauschdienst) scholarship holder for pursuing Ph.D at Heidelberg University
- 2002-2004 Lecturer at the Sanata Dharma Catholic University, Yogyakarta.Teaching the courses “Islamic Philosophy” “Introduction to Islam” at the Catholic Monastery.Assistant to Professor Dr. Budi Subanar, SJ (Jesuit Order), on “Inter-religious Dialogue” at the Graduate Studies of Religion and Culture.
2002-2004 Editor, Retorika, Journal of Graduate Studies of Religion and Culture, the Sanata Dharma Catholic University, Yogyakarta
- 2000 CIDA (Canadian International Development Agency) scholarship holder for visiting Ph.D student atthe Anthropology Department, McGill University.
- 1997-1999 CIDA scholarship holder for MA at the Institute of Islamic Studies, McGill University.
- Mother tongues: Javanese and Bahasa Indonesia.
- Fluent in English (speaking and writing)
- Fluent in Arabic (classical and modern texts).
- Active in German (living in Germany for 5 years).
- Fair in French.
- I also speak Madurese fairly (a language spoken by the inhabitants of a small island near East Java).
- 2014 Fellowship from the Endeavour, Australia, as a research fellow at University of Western Sydney
- 2013 Grant for international collaborative research by the Ministry of Religious Affairs of the Republic of Indonesia, in collaboration with Heidelberg University, Germany.
- 2012 National best lecturer, for international research and publication, an Award from the Ministry ofReligious Affairs of the Republic of Indonesia, at the API (ApresiasiPendidikan Islam/Appreciation toward Islamic Education) during HAB (HariAmalBakti/The Anniversary of the Ministry of Religious Affairs) on December.
- 2011-2012 Fellowship from the ARI (Asian Research Institute) National University of Singapore (NUS), Singapore (starting from October 2011), planning to study LiaAminuddin, an Indonesian claimant to prophethood—a case drawing a controversy between orthodoxy and pluralism in Indonesia.
- 2009-2010 Fellowship for research on early Islam at the International Consortium for Research in the Humanities “the Dynamics in the History of Religions between Asia and Europe” (IKGF), Ruhr University, Bochum, Germany. I did some presentations on the results of my research, whose subject I focus on Musaylimah (a seventh century claimant to prophethood), Umayyah b. Abi Salt (a seventh century poet and claimant to prophethood), and contemporary Islam in Indonesia.
- 2005-2008 Full scholarship from the DAAD for pursuing the Ph.D program at the Seminar fürSprachen und Kulturen des Vorderen Orients, Islamwissenschaft, Ruprecht-Karls-Universität, Heidelberg.
- 2004 Travel Grant for participating the International Institute for Leadership, FNSt (Freidrich Neumann Stiftung), Seminar on Political Strategies: Fighting Fundamentalism III. Gummersbach, Germany (26 March-2 April).
- 2000-2001 Researcher, “Annotated Bibliography of Tafsir/Qur’anic Malay Literature” under the coordination of Prof. Abdullah Saeed (University of Melbourne), with the Sponsorship of the University Of Melbourne (submitted December), will be published in the form of CD-room.
- 2000 Full scholarship from CIDA scholarship, for visiting Student, at the Department of Anthropology, McGill University (January-June).
- 1997-1999 Full scholarship from CIDA for pursuing the Master Degree in Islamic Studies,McGill University.
- 1992-1995 SUPERSEMAR scholarship (Mandate of 11th of March 1966, sponsored by the president of the Republic Indonesia) in IAIN (State Institute of Islamic Studies), SunanKalijaga Yogyakarta.
- 1988-1991 Full scholarship from the Department of Religious Affairs of Indonesia, during studying at the MAPK (Senior High School with a Special Program of Islamic Studies).
List of Publication
Monograph in English:
- 2010 Representing the Enemy: Musaylima in Muslim Literature, Frankfurt, Bern, Oxford, New York, Peter Lang.
- 2014 Apostates in White Robe: Tales from Lia Eden’s Divine Kingdom and Vision of Paradise on earth, a proposal of monograph accepted by Brill and KITLV Leiden (80 percent in completion).
Monographs in Bahasa Indonesia:
- 2006 Bunuh Sang Nabi: Kebenaran di Balik Pertarungan Setan Melawan Malaikat (Kill the Prophet: Truth behind the Struggle between Satan and Angel)." Jakarta: Hikmah, Mizan.
- 2003 Nabi Palsu, Membuka Kembali Pintu Kenabian (A False Prophet, Opening the Gate of Prophethood) Yogyakarta/Indonesia: Ar-Ruzz.
- 2002 Anti-Kesempurnaan, Membaca, Melihat dan Bertutur tentang Islam (Unfinished: Reading, Observing, and Telling about Islam). Yogyakarta: Pustaka Pelajar.
Published Articles in Refereed Journals in English language
- 2013 “From Musaylima to KharijiteNajdiyya” Al Jamiah, vol. 51, no. 2, 2013.
- 2012 “Pluralism in education, a study of Mukti Ali’s thought” Journal of the International Yale Indonesia Forum, Social Justice and Rule of Law: Addressing the growth of a Pluralist Indonesian Democracy.
- 2011 “Pluralism versus Islamic Orthodoxy, The Indonesian public debate over the case of LiaAminuddin, the founder of Salamullah religious cult” Journal of the International Yale Indonesia Forum, Social Justice and Rule of Law: Addressing the growth of a Pluralist Indonesian Democracy.
2010 “Rethinking other claimants to prophethood, the case of Umayya b. Abi Salt,”Al-Jamiah,Journal for Islamic Studies, vol. 48 no. 1: 169-190
2009 “Pope Benedict XVI and Islam: Indonesian Reactions to the Regensburg Address” Journal of Islam and Christian-Muslim Relation/ICMR [Francis and Taylor, Routledge, London], vol. 20, no. 4, October: pp. 409–421.
- 2003 “A Defender of an ‘Existence’: MullaSadra’s [philosophical principles] on Mumkin [Potentiality]” al-Jami’ah, vol. 41 no. 1: pp. 42-67.
- 2002 “Demythologizing the Narratives of the Qur’an: Muhammad ‘Abduh’s and BintShati’s Accounts on ‘Ad, Thamud and Pharaoh in interpreting Q. 89: 1-10. al-Jami’ah vol. 40, no. 1 (January-June): pp. 80-97.
- 2001 “Al-Tha’labi’s Account of Fir’awn: From the Birth of Musa to his Contest against Fir’awn’s Magicians” Retorika vol. 1, (September-December): pp. 102-114.
- 1999 “The Influence of Zahiri Theory on IbnHazm’s Theology: The Case of His Interpretation of the Anthropomorphic Text ‘the Hand of God’.” Medieval Encounter [Brill Academic Publisher, Leiden], vol. 5 no. 1 (March): pp.112-120.