The Indonesian Consortium for Religious Studies (ICRS) is a consortium of three universities: Universitas Gadjah Mada (UGM), State Islamic University Sunan Kalijaga (UIN), and Duta Wacana Christian University (UKDW). Together they offer an integrative, international Ph.D. program in inter-religious studies. This is the only Religious Studies Ph.D. Program that is co-sponsored by Muslim, Christian, and national-secular universities.
The primary strength of ICRS is the study of Indonesian religions, especially Islam. Indonesia includes the largest and most dynamic Muslim population in the world. ICRS also has strong resources for study of Indonesian Christianity and can facilitate research on Balinese Hinduism, Indonesian Buddhism, Indonesian Chinese religions and indigenous local religions. ICRS encourages comparative study with religious movements in other parts of the world.
The program is conducted in English and includes one semester at leading foreign university. Non-Indonesian students may choose to spend the semester in an intensive Indonesian language and culture program. ICRS accepts student from all religions and nationalities. With it combined human library resources, ICRS share a common commitment to inter-religious dialogue and the promotion of peace in Indonesia and the world.
What is Special about Studying at ICRS?
- Enjoy the combined resources of UGM, UIN Sunan Kalijaga, and UKDW, including: combined library facilities, graduate courses with full credit at all thre universities and many social/cultural event.
- Earn a Ph.D. degree accredited through Gadjah Mada University and signed by the Rectors all of three universities.
- Enjoy frequent contact with visiting international faculty, scholars and doctoral students from around the world.
- Spend a semester at an outstanding university in another country.
- Participate in a rigorous Ph.D. program with international standards of academic accountability, including foreign advisors for every student.
- Deepen your religious understanding and commitments in an inter-religious context that respects and honors different religions.
- Choose a structured doctoral program that includes required courses and Comprehensive Examinations as well as dissertation research.
- Enjoy a beautiful campus in landscaped grounds with the lovely building of the UGM Graduate School, including air conditioned classroom and free wireless internet access.
- Participate in the cultural, social, and intellectual life of Yogyakarta: a city that embodies ancient traditions with modern ideas and energy.